In past years, incandescent and fluorescent lighting was the steadfast option for commercial buildings. Although these lights ultimately achieve the goal of providing ample lighting in large spaces and are energy efficient, they are slightly more expensive to utilize than traditional lighting solutions. But because of its potential payoff benefits, LED lighting is a great alternative lighting option. Many companies are quickly making the switch to LED lighting because they are energy efficient, long lasting, and less damaging. Below, we will dive deeper into the advantages of switching to LED lighting.

 

●        Energy Efficient

Compared to a traditional incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs, LED light bulbs require about 50 percent less energy. This can translate into some big cost savings on energy bills, especially if an entire office building transitions to LED lighting.

 

Another advantage to using LED light bulbs is they are able to have their light and subsequent heat aimed in a specific direction. LED light is emitted hemispherically rather than spherically like traditional incandescent bulbs. With traditional bulbs, light and heat radiate outward in all directions, which wastes energy. With LED, though, it is possible to have the full light and heat directed to the exact space that must be illuminated, thus saving even further on energy costs.

 

●        Long Life

A second sustainable aspect of LED lighting is the extended lifetime of each bulb. Unlike traditional bulbs that burn out and require frequent replacement, LED bulbs simply dim over time. Each LED bulb has a lifespan between 30,000 and 50,000 hours. Compare this number to an incandescent bulb that can last 1,000 hours, or even to a fluorescent bulb that can last between 8,000 and 10,000 hours, you can see the cost benefit. By utilizing lighting systems that last longer, we can help you save on operational costs and reduce energy waste.

 

●        No IR or UV Emissions

Incandescent bulbs are incredibly inefficient. Less than 10 percent of the power they produced is actually converted to visible light. The remaining 90 percent of the power is either converted to infrared light or heat. The wasted infrared light and heat can create a burn hazard to materials and can ultimately damage materials with extended use.

 

With LED lighting there are no IR or UV emissions. This means more of the energy is converted to useable light that is not going to damage materials within the building.

 

At Gausman & Moore we strive to move commercial buildings toward a sustainable design. Our professional electrical engineers are well versed in LED conversions and can help get your building on the right track to a smarter lighting system. If you are eager to propel your building forward with LED lighting, contact us today.